Snacking Tips

by Katie on March 4, 2010

Snacks…we all eat them! Don’t we…or…am I the only one that can’t live on just three meals a day?

Have you noticed the 100 calorie snack pack craze? Clever, huh? Clever AND very expensive! Companies are making so much money on something that is so simple to do.

I started making my own snack packs! All you have to do is buy snack sized baggies and your favorite snack. Then portion them out in 100 calories. I make up a whole bunch and keep the baggies in the pantry. It really seems to help with the whole portion control thing.

I don’t always portion everything in 100 calories…I do a lot of nuts, veggies, and cheese this way, too. It helps to have things ready to go…so I can run out the door to work. Otherwise, I end up with no lunch, and we all know what happens then.

This is a super easy thing to do…and it will save you a lot of money!

Do you have any snacking tips? Leave me a comment…I am always looking for healthy snack ideas!

This post is linked to Life as Mom

Leslie March 4, 2010 at 11:51 pm

great reminder of how to save money. I used to do this and need to get back to it. I can't think of any great tips myself on snacking but I do know that cookies and baked goods are tons cheaper from scratch so I try to do that for the "treat" side of snacks.

Keli March 5, 2010 at 12:00 am

great idea! thanks for sharing

Jessica March 5, 2010 at 3:20 am

Great idea! I need this portion control with my husband! He's fit don't get me wrong, but he sure can eat a whole bag of chips in one setting.

Embracingchaos March 5, 2010 at 9:36 am

I agree that those individual snack packs are so expensive! I only buy them if they are on sale and I have a coupon. My kids love when I make up my own trail mix for them. I usually do this to use up the last bit of different snacks. Certainly this is more affordable AND better than all the extra packaging.

Kathleen March 5, 2010 at 1:26 pm

This is a great idea! You probably end up with much better food and definitely much better value!

shopannies March 5, 2010 at 2:57 pm

popcorn, apple slices

Tiffanee March 5, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Love this idea. Thanks for sharing. I need to do this especially for portion control!!