Twice Baked Potatoes

by Katie on April 21, 2010

Be sure to sign up for my Le Creuset giveaway!

I really don’t think there is anything I love more than a potato. Mashed, baked, au gratin, twice baked…it really doesn’t matter the type…just give me that wonderful starch!

Now, I love my husband dearly, but I can’t take his distaste for my beloved food, potatoes. Each and every time I make them he reiterates the fact that mashed potatoes taste like “toothpaste”! Ok, um, maybe I should stop squeezing the Crest in them. Seriously, I don’t get it!

As you can tell, I don’t get to enjoy them often. When I was making my freezer meals I included some twice baked potatoes and hash brown casserole (funny he likes that). I am afraid, he may have to eat a little bit of “toothpaste” for a while.

These potatoes freeze wonderfully! These are a great time saver, since they tend to be a little time consuming. Cook once, clean once, and enjoy many times…

The possibilities on a baked potato are endless. I really want to try some with broccoli and cheese, or maybe taco fillings…see, there are so many possibilities!

Here we go…

You want to scrub your potatoes really well and bake. I had large ones so I baked at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. You just want them to give a little when you push on them.

Let them cool and cut in half. Then proceed to scoop out the pulp. Make sure you are careful and don’t cut the shell.

Mash up the potatoes. Add in your sour cream, milk, butter, and cheddar cheese. Stir it up really well.

Scoop it back into the potato shells. Then top with more cheese and chopped bacon if you wish. Now, you want to line them up on a cookie sheet and freeze just til firm. Wrap each one in plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag.

Oh my, doesn’t that look wonderfully delicious? Toothpaste-y? I don’t think so!
Recipe:
8 baking potatoes
2 cups sour cream
1 cup milk
1 stick butter
2 cups cheddar cheese
chopped bacon, if desired
To serve:
Thaw and bake at 350 degree for about 25-30 minutes (until warmed through)
Hint:
I like a lot of filling in mine so I baked one potato just for filling for the others…
Serves: 14-16

Anonymous April 21, 2010 at 9:15 am

Hmmm what about toothpaste that would taste like a twice baked pototoe. I love pototoes anyway they are prepared!! The picture makes my mouth water!!!

Michelle S. April 21, 2010 at 11:09 am

I was just asking Misty the other day how you made those-you must've read my mind! Can't wait to make them!!!

Katie April 21, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Anonymous,

I don't know…I think maybe the texture is why he doesn't like them! Strange, I know!

Katie April 21, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Michelle,

Let me know how you like them! They are so yummy!

Anonymous April 21, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I'm like you Katie…I can eat potatoes every meal…mmmmm
Thanks for the recipe..will try it soon…
Elaine

April April 21, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I've never tried making twice baked potatoes because I thought they would be hard to make. Your recipe makes it seem doable though! Adding this to my to make list.

alissa April 22, 2010 at 8:34 am

Yum! I love twice baked potatoes and these look great!

Misty April 22, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I have all the ingredients for these, so I will be doing a little freezer cooking SOON! Yummy! :) I LOVE potatoes… one question for you… Could you please share your hashbrown casserole recipe with me? I have one that uses frozen diced potatoes that are thawed… so I am not sure I could re-freeze it???

Katie April 22, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Misty,

My hashbrown casserole is probably the same one you use…with sour cream, cheese, and cream of chicken soup.

It uses the same hashbrown potatoes that are frozen. I jsut dump them in a bowl (frozen) and make the casserole up. Then I freeze it in gallon ziploc bags (I make 2 dinners out of it). Thaw and bake as usual.

Me, Myself and Pie April 22, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Yum! i recently just made some twice-baked potatoes myself. These look fantastic!

Heather April 22, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Cant wait to make this! Oh, and Cole will be thrilled that some one else doenst like potatoes. We keep telling him there is no way you cant like potatoes…EVERYONE likes potaotes. He will eat french fries, but not mashed, baked, or fried.

Anonymous May 3, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Had a luncheon at school today that earned me some leftover baked potatoes…guess what I'm making tomorrow?! Thanks!!~Kimi

Kristin October 13, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I’m absolutely making these this weekend. Thanks for sharing at URS!

Katie October 14, 2011 at 12:07 am

Kristin, I hope you enjoy them…I know we sure do!

Kristin @ Fiskerelli Bellies February 23, 2012 at 8:42 am

You may have just given me the motivation to finally make these. They almost look like a meal by themselves. Thanks for sharing at URS!

Katie February 24, 2012 at 11:14 am

Hi Kristin! You are right, they really could be a meal all by themselves :)