Baked Brown Rice

by Katie on May 19, 2010

I try to cook with brown rice because it is healthier than white, but I have had my fair share of problems with it. If you have ever cooked with brown rice, you probably understand. Now, white rice…always comes out good and I never have issues.

This recipe is truly fool proof! We loved how it baked up with perfect texture. It wasn’t sticky or mushy…it is a must try if you are a rice fan!

I added a hint of orange flavor to our rice and it was so good. I served it up along side my Orange Teriyaki Chicken, and the oranges really went well together without being the least bit overpowering.

1 1/2 cups brown rice
2 1/2 cups chicken broth

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the above ingredients in a 3-quart baking pan or casserole dish and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for five minutes before removing the foil and fluffing with a fork

Serves 4

Orange Variation:

zest of one orange
juice of an orange (1/2 or whole orange)

Once rice is cooked, add in the zest and juice. Serve.

Recipe Source: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe

Kimi May 19, 2010 at 8:33 am

We love the orange teriyaki chicken!! I have a rice cooker that seems to cook the brown well..or my hubby just isn't saying different. lol

Tightwad Mom May 19, 2010 at 9:44 am

Thanks for the recipe. We are having broccoli with beef tonight. This will go perfectly!

Regina May 19, 2010 at 10:06 am

Thanks so much for sharing this info -I was JUST saying that we should give brown rice a try – I don't think I've ever had it (but I thought I had …turns out that was wild rice – icky!)

Katie May 19, 2010 at 10:39 am

Regina, I think you will like brown rice this way, you should give it a try.

Katie May 19, 2010 at 10:40 am

Kimi, I have never tried brown rice in a rice cooker…I am sure it is good! I have a steamer/rice cooker combo, but I always forget it cooks rice too!

Tiffanee May 19, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I have been trying to switch over to brown rice and have had the cooking issues. So frustrating. So thanks for this recipe. I truly hope it is ME Proof, that I can actually have it turn out right! Thanks for the orange variation, Sound delicious!!

Emily {Frilly Details} May 19, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I'll have to try this sometime. I've actually never made brown rice before. Maybe it's time I give it a try :)

Jessica May 20, 2010 at 7:48 am

Great idea! I love rice, but when I get busy in the kitchen, I never seem to be able to cook it perfectly. Putting in the oven is genius!

Me, Myself and Pie May 20, 2010 at 10:15 am

I agree…you can never go wrong with cooking white rice, but brown is just so much better. I've never baked it, though…must try soon.

Misty May 22, 2010 at 7:22 am

This is a MUST try on my June menu plan… :)

April May 23, 2010 at 10:29 pm

This is as simple as my white rice recipe, just a slightly longer cooking time. I'll pass this on to my friend. :)