August Freezer Cooking – Part 2

by Katie on August 24, 2010

I am back with some good news…my freezer cooking is finally complete! Whew, it sure was a lot of work, but well worth it!

Here is a final picture of my food…although a couple of things didn’t make it in the picture.

Here is everything I made:

Shredded BBQ Chicken – 3 meals
Taco Meat – 5 meals
Beef Cabbage Soup - 3 meals
Pizza Dough – 3
Bean and Cheese Burritos – 15
Breakfast Burritos – 15
Refried Beans - 6
Cooked Pinto Beans – 3 bags
Italian Beef – 1 meal
Granola – a lot

If you are new to the concept of freezer cooking, you can read more about it here. I wrote a little on the subject last fall when I first started the blog.

I get so many questions on this subject that I am thinking of doing a ‘freezer series”!

How about you? Do you have any freezer questions?

If so, leave me a comment or send me an e-mail!

I would love to hear from you!!

Jessica August 24, 2010 at 11:19 pm

GREAT JOB! I love the feeling of having a full freezer and having a night off of cooking during the week!

Misty August 25, 2010 at 7:16 am

WOW! Awesome job! I am jealous of your stocked freezer now. :) You've inspired me to whip up some freezer cooking frenzy around here…

kimi August 25, 2010 at 7:41 am

That is awesome!!

Michele August 25, 2010 at 9:01 am

I have tons of questions I don't freezer cook but I would love to start.
1. What can't you freeze? 2. How long can you keep items in the freezer? 3. Is it easier to start with one item at a time? beef one day then chicken? 4.How do you protect from freezer burn?

That is just the start of the questions I have/ :)

Katie August 25, 2010 at 10:16 am

Michele,

I know, there is a lot to learn when it comes to freezer cooking. For now you can read the link to what I have written in the past.

I am starting to work on a whole sereis on the subject…so if you have any more question…ask away, so I can make sure I answer everything for you.

I know you will love freezer cooking!!! Hopefully you can get started soon…

Katie August 25, 2010 at 10:17 am

Misty…for the ten millionth time, girl…just let me know and I will come over and cook away with you.

I guess we can start next time there is a big meat sale!!

Lauren August 25, 2010 at 10:46 am

Do your freezer cooking supplies come out of your grocery budget?

I want to start, but can't really afford to spend more than my regular grocery budget on supplies.

Katie August 25, 2010 at 11:04 am

Lauren,

I do buy my freezer groceries out of my regular $40 budget.

What I try to do is stock up on meat and other supplies when they are on sale.

Then I take a look in my stockpile for items that I can use.

This usually limits my list to just a few items that I need to purchase.

If you are just starting in the whole stockpile/coupon thing you may want to consider saving a little out of your budget each week. Pretty soon you will have enough to start. Or you could also jsut double a meal…if you are making a pot of soup…double it for the freezer. Little by little you will have a fully stocked freezer.

Misty August 25, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I've heard of a lot of people starting freezer cooking like that… making tow meatloaves, one now and one for the freezer, or like Katie said 2 pots of chili… Starting small works great when you are first starting, especially when it all can be overwhelming. :)

Katie, you are ON! The next time there is a meat sale, your phone will be ringing… especially now that school is back in. :)

Julie August 25, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I love the idea of doing this…will have to try when I've got lots of energy :)

Katie August 25, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Julie,

Yes, it does take a lot of energy. Every time I do it I feel like…man, that took too much time. I will say, though, that through the month I really enjoy the time I don't have to spend in the kitchen.

Start small!

Val August 25, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Wow, this is so smart!! I need to start doing this. Thanks for a great post!

Katie August 25, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Thanks Val, let me know if you have any questions about getting started…

Tiffanee August 26, 2010 at 3:04 pm

WOW!! So impressive. You will be so thankful on those busy nights. I really need to jump on this bandwagon!!

Danielle April 12, 2015 at 3:12 pm

What Can You NOT FREEZE? How do you Freeze Vegetables? Is there a certain way?

Katie April 13, 2015 at 10:57 pm

Hi Danielle! Well, you can freeze most things. Here is a list of things that you shouldn’t freeze:

As far as veggies… I don’t freeze them too often. I usually buy them fresh or already frozen. :)
Katie recently posted…Fresh Fruit with a Honey-Orange Yogurt DressingMy Profile