Breakfast Bun Bake??????

by Katie on September 21, 2010

I took a media break for a few days last week…basically, I stayed offline. With that “media break” came an unplanned “menu planning break”. I wasn’t online and posting so I didn’t make a menu plan at all!

No big deal, right? WRONG!

It was dinner time Monday night. I was so hungry. I went into the kitchen to throw something together. I have been freezer cooking like mad here lately, but I neglected to thaw just one of my hundred meals.

These hot dog buns were haunting me. I looked all over and I just kept coming back to these buns…and I wasn’t wanting a hot dog…even though that would have been much easier!

I searched the fridge and the only thawed meat I had was a pound of Jimmy Dean Sausage.

I spied a green pepper and I was on to something…a breakfast casserole!!!!

So, I tore up 5 buns and put them in a greased pan

I browned up some sausage with green pepper and onion…then I put it on top of the lousy hot dog buns…

I topped with a package of Mozzarella cheese…we are getting somewhere now…

I mixed up 5 eggs, 2 cups of milk, salt, and pepper and poured it over the top…and baked it at 350 for 35 minutes! This is just a variant of a basic breakfast casserole recipe I use…only I use crescent rolls normally. The crescent rolls are better, but hey, what can I say…this was still pretty good!!!
I just thought it would be neat to share a “new use” for those hot dog buns you may otherwise throw away!

How about you?

How do you save and re purpose food?

Please share, I am sure we could all learn some new tricks!!

This post is linked to:

Frugal Friday at www.lifeasmom.com

WFMW at www.wearethatfamily.com

Misty September 21, 2010 at 11:09 am

I have to admit… this looks yummy! If I didn't menu plan, we'd be eating cereal or something like that… :) I've made an egg casserole using a bunch of leftover heels of bread.

Can I ask for your casserole recipe using crescent rolls? My family loves breakfast for dinner and I would love to have a variety of breakfast casserole recipes…

Kathy McC September 21, 2010 at 1:56 pm

You are amazing!!!!
Keep inspiring us!!!
Thank you!

Katie September 21, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Kathy,

I am not even close to amazing…just forgetful when it comes to thawing out meat :)

Thank you for all of your uplifting and encouraging words!

Katie September 21, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Misty,

Sure, it is really good. It is actually my mom's recipe. I have to find it though…if I forget, remind me!

I will try to make it here soon and post the pics.

Tightwad Mom September 21, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Great idea!! I usually turn my leftover hot dog and hamburger buns into garlic cheese toast. I'm going to make this recipe the next time I have extra buns!

Julie Bagamary September 22, 2010 at 7:12 am

I've made a similar recipe with regular bread but like the idea of using up the buns instead. Thanks.

Tiffanee September 22, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Looks do delicious!! I thought I was doing good when I turned hot dog buns into garlic cheese bread…you my dear are amazing!!

Shelby September 23, 2010 at 2:22 am

Wow, that's great! I hate having those leftover buns.

wandeful September 23, 2010 at 7:17 am

Hi Katie,

I have always been perplexed with those left over hot dog buns!!Garlic spread and toasted in the oven for garlic bread works for us. Also, I have a bag of bread pcs. going for stuffing, but I pinch the white and leave off the brwn parts. Of course, this bag is kept in the freezer, Thank you for sharing your info with us.

Katie September 23, 2010 at 10:12 am

Wanda,

It seems like a lot of people go the garlic bread route…I have never done that…although my mom did a time or two.

I love the stuffing idea! Too bad I have never made stuffing…please share a recipe sometime!!

Your Frugal Friend, Niki September 23, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Great tip about using up those leftover buns. I will sometimes do the garlic bread thing, but most times I toss them to the birds. I will definitely try this out soon!

Stop by and visit sometime over at Free 2 Be Frugal.

Tiffany @ Eat at Home September 29, 2010 at 10:14 pm

I love how "dire" circumstances can create some really good dinners!