Taco Meat

by Katie on November 9, 2010

I have always been a taco seasoning girl. I was sheltered. I had no idea there was another way. I thought everyone used taco mixes. I even liked them…that is, until I found the other way.

When I discovered this unknown world, I began to make strides in a better direction. I began to brown my meat and just add different spices. Voila, taco meat!

I was in search of a way to freeze the taco meat without it being dry when I thawed it out. So, I found this recipe and tried it on one of my freezer cooking days.

It is great! The taco meat isn’t runny (you know…when it gets the shell a little soggy?) but it isn’t the least bit dry. The tomato sauce helps a lot. It is packed full of flavor and as far as I am concerned, it is a keeper! I cook up a large batch and keep it in the freezer. I just thaw it out and heat it up in the microwave. It really can’t get any easier than that!

Taco Meat

3 lbs ground beef
1 onion, finely chopped
6 oz. can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
ground pepper, to taste

Brown the ground beef with the chopped onion. Drain and Rinse. Return to the pan.

Add tomato sauce and spices to the ground beef and let simmer over low heat for ten minutes.

Divide meat into meal sized portions and place in freezer bags. Freeze.

Recipe Credit: $5 Dinners

This post is linked WFMW at www.wearethatfamily.com

Kimi November 9, 2010 at 8:48 am

I have some ground beef I was thinking of doing with the taco seasoning packages I have (free!!) but this sounds so much better. Definitely lower sodium!! Thanks!! Well too Erin too…I forgot that I had wanted to try it after she posted it too. Thanks to the both of you!!

Katie November 9, 2010 at 9:40 am

Kimi,

This is way better in your taco meat. I also have free seasoning packages and I use them in other recipes that call for a taco seasoning packet…like taco soup. They are great to keep on hand for things like that.

Total credit to Erin…I just loved her recipe!

Shelby McDevitt November 9, 2010 at 10:00 am

Katie!! Love this recipe…going to deff try it out. We are Taco Freaks!! We have taco's at least once a week in the McDevitt household – the boys looooove the meat over some white rice with all the fixin's – thanks again!!

Tightwad Mom November 9, 2010 at 10:03 am

This is definitely on the must try list! It would be nice to pull a package out of the freezer on busy days for a quick dinner.

Katie November 9, 2010 at 10:09 am

Shelby,

We love anything taco-ish here. I have never had it over rice, but it sounds pretty good!

Katie November 9, 2010 at 10:10 am

Tightwad Mom,

It is so handy. I always thought of taco night as a quick dinner, but this is the easiest things ever. Plus I think the meat tastes better coming out of the freezer…full of flavor!

Nichole November 10, 2010 at 10:06 am

That sounds great — and the timing of your post made me laugh. I put taco seasoning in my bean griddlecakes, too, and I realized last night that I was out of it. As I was making dinner, of course. So for the very first time, I made my own taco spice blend!

Katie November 10, 2010 at 10:36 am

Nichole, I have never heard of a bean griddlecakes…I will have to check out your link.

Amy @ Cheeky Cocoa Beans November 10, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I'm definitely trying this out during the next week!

Katie November 10, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Amy, let me know how you like it!!

kristen May 24, 2012 at 12:18 pm

how many servings does this make?