Wonderful Wheat Pizza Dough

by Katie on January 19, 2011

I have two awesome pizza dough recipes. When I say awesome, I mean they give the pizza shops a run for their money. Except for an occasional LaRosa’s (a Cincy fave) we never order out pizza. It just isn’t worth it when we can make something better at home.

Homemade pizza not only tastes great, but can be made for about $4 or less…so it is a frugal dinner.

The first recipe I learned to make is from my Papaw and the other I just discovered this past year. Papaw’s is a basic pizza crust that is quick, easy, and tasty. It is perfect for those nights you forgot to plan for dinner. You will have your crust done in 15 minutes flat.

Then there is this recipe. It isn’t hard or too time consuming, but it takes a little bit of thinking ahead. I assure you it is well worth the time. It is chewy and has an unbeatable flavor. The honey and whole wheat flour go so magnificently together. There is so much depth to the flavor.

Whichever crust you try, I promise you can’t go wrong!!

*Makes 2 12-inch pizzas or 1 large 16 to 18-inch pizza

1 1/4 cups warm water
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

Make the dough the night before or early the morning on the day you want to make the pizza. In a large mixing bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer), mix the water, yeast, sugar, honey and oil. (If using active dry yeast, increase the amount of yeast to 2 3/4 teaspoons and proof the yeast in the water until foamy before mixing in the sugar, honey and oil.) Then mix in 1 cup flour and the salt. Continue mixing in all the remaining flour until you get a nice, soft dough. Knead until dough is soft and smooth, about 10 minutes by hand or 5 minutes with a stand mixer.

Shape the dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl and cover tightly (with a lid or plastic wrap). Place the dough in the refrigerator to slowly rise until three hours before baking. Three hours before baking, remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature, keeping it lightly covered.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. If your oven is a little sketch, preheat it to 450. Roll out your crust and place on pizza stone or baking sheet. Top with toppings and bake for about 8-10 minutes until crust and cheese start to brown.

Recipe Credit: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe

Mo 'Betta January 19, 2011 at 9:13 am

We make homemade pizza all the time, but I've been wanting a new crust recipe…gotta try this one! Thanks!

Daniel January 19, 2011 at 9:30 am

You won't be disappointed! I look forward to homemade pizza as much as going to LaRosa's!

Emily {Frilly Details} January 19, 2011 at 9:58 am

So glad you posted this! I've been looking for a good pizza crust recipe. I'm jotting this one down! Thanks :)

Katie January 19, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Mo'Betta,

I think you will really like it…let me know how it goes!

Katie January 19, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Daniel,

Awww, you are sweet! I don't know…I sure do love me some LaRosa's…

Katie January 19, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Emily,

Let me know how you like it. It is great!

Misty January 19, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I must admit, I love your Papaw's recipe because it is QUICK… This one looks delicious though! I just need to get in the habit of making it early in the a.m. :) I am definitely trying this next time…

Katie January 19, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Misty,

If you could remember you could make it up the night before. You should try it…it is great!

Kim @ Quit Eating Out {Soon to Become Recipes To Run On} January 21, 2011 at 7:46 am

This just makes me miss LaRosa's even more!! :-) I am anxious to try both of your crust recipes. I love this post…. bc you're right…. making things from scratch is always the right way to go (financially, nutritiously, etc). I'm anxious to try these recipes. I'm wondering if it's possible to do all whole wheat flour in the last recipe? I'll let you know when I try it. Hoping you'll join Saturday Swap this week with one or some of your great recipes. Have a super weekend!

Katie January 21, 2011 at 11:26 am

Kim,

Yes, I feel bad for you…no more LaRosa's! I would love to hear if it is good with all whole wheat flour. I sometims have a hard time with bread that it…so I am curious.

I will try to remember to join up this week! Thanks for reminding me!

Kim @ Quit Eating Out {Soon to Become Recipes To Run On} January 22, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Katie, thanks so much for linking up to Saturday Swap! I'm so anxious to try this.

Elysia June 14, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I recently found out that I am a diabetic and have been having to switch to whole wheat items rather than the typical white. I really appreciate this recipe as well as many of your others…I’m teaching a neighbors daughter to cook and your recipes are awesome to teach her with!

Katie June 14, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Elysia, I hope you enjoy the pizza crust. It is a fave around here. I’m sure it must be hard trying to find recipes that are diabetic friendly. Also…that is awesome that you are teaching your neighbors daughter to cook…I hope my recipes help you out ;)