Spring Cleaning: A Detailed List for the Kitchen

by Katie on March 29, 2011

I think the kitchen is the most detailed room to spring clean. There is just so much to do in that little area. Being that you COOK in there, you want to make sure it is good and clean.

Even with cleaning it often, it is amazing what goes undone until a big or spring cleaning. I mean, hello…the top of the refrigerator. If I can’t see it sometimes I forget about it. Please tell me that is not just at my house.

Anyways, I put together a pretty detailed list of things to do. Of course it will be a little different for all of us, so add what you need to add!

Make sure you grab some paper and a pan before you start. As you come across old spices and mismatched tupperware keep a tab of what you need to restock in the kitchen!

Walls/Ceiling/Floor
Dust the ceiling and walls
Clean the light fixtures
Clean blinds
Take down window treatments and wash
Clean windowsills
Wash windows inside and out
Sweep and mop floors
Dust and polish baseboards
Wipe down switch plates

Cabinets/Drawers
Empty cabinets and clean inside
Organize items as you put them back
Empty drawers and clean inside (don’t forget the junk drawer)
Clean out silverware holder and reorganize silverware
Polish wood cabinets (I use liquid gold)
Clean and organize pantry

Counter/Sink
Take everything off counter tops and clean
Wipe down back splash
Clean and sanitize sink
Wipe down sink faucet
Clean garbage disposal
Wipe down small appliances as you are going to put them back (toaster, coffee maker, mixer)
Sharpen knife set

Appliances
Clean outside of all appliance
Polish stainless steel appliances
Clean dishwasher inside and outside
Clean oven
Remove stuff from oven drawer and clean
Remove knobs on stove top and clean them
Clean stove top
Pull oven out and clean behind it
Clean microwave inside and outside
Clean refrigerator
Vacuum refrigerator coils
Defrost freezer if needed Clean and organize freezers

Other
Clean and sanitize trash can

Miriam March 29, 2011 at 7:34 am

Haha! You said your list was similar to mine, and by George it really is! The only thing that on your list that I *didn't* do in some way was pulling out the stove (ours is attached to the wall) and organize the freezer. The freezer needs done, but I'll do that when I do 2 big ones.

And yes, your refrigerator top is not the only one…

Misty March 29, 2011 at 12:32 pm

WOW, what a great list! And, I love the idea of having a pen and paper nearby… especially since I get distracted EASILY.

Can't wait to start spring cleaning! I can't believe those words came out of my mouth. :)

Tiffanee March 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Thanks for such a great list. Thanks for saving me time. Gonna be using it for sure.

Cheryl March 30, 2011 at 6:48 am

Reading that LIST made me tired!!!

Just think what REAL spring cleaning is gonna do to me….oh my aching back!!! LOL

Really Kate…good list…and starting from top (ceiling) and working to the bottom (floors) is the way to go!!!

Katie March 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm

@Miriam: Yep, it sure was! I am so glad to hear I am not the only one with dust on top of the fridge!

@Misty: Well, you know me…I have a pen and paper with me at all times for list making :)

Katie March 30, 2011 at 1:37 pm

@Tiffanee: Sure, let me know how your cleaing goes!

@Cheryl: Yes, it is hard work. After spring cleaing everyone desreves I free day to recover!

Bitterroot Mama March 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm

This is a crazy long list! Just a few questions from someone with a dirty kitchen: how do you clean your oven? Mine isn't a self-cleaning one. Also, how do you clean a dishwasher?

Katie March 30, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Bitterrot Mama,

For the dishwasher, I always clean the outside, door jams, and wipe inside down with a wet rag. I recently read about running an empty cycle with vinegar, so I am planning to try that tomorrow…if all goes well I will share on here!

I have always had a self clean oven, but I have heard if you don't you can buy easy off and use that. Oh, and I'm sure you don't have a dirty kitchen :)

Marianne March 31, 2011 at 9:24 am

This is a great list. I will evernote it so that I can have it for future reference. Most of what is on your list I do every other month so it doesn't get to build up, but since I also clean my mother in laws house it would be good to have a list to show her what has been done. Thank you for sharing.

Katie March 31, 2011 at 11:58 am

Marianne, I just discovered evernote…awesome! You sounds like a pretty good cleanner by doing all of this every other month! WOW!

Amy Bowman April 3, 2011 at 9:06 pm

This post was most clicked on at "AP Tuesday!" I will be featuring you during this "Anti-Procrastination Tuesday" Party at New Nostalgia. Thank you for linking up!!

McKala April 20, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Prayers for your grandfather and thanks so much for the motivational list!

Katie April 22, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Thanks, McKala, I appreciate it :)