How to Clean Your Refrigerator

by Katie on March 31, 2011

I just got done really deep cleaning the inside of my refrigerator. Every week on trash day I go through the fridge and throw things out and wipe the shelves down with Lysol wipes. Then I come through every quarter or so and do a big clean…like I did today!

I am going to walk you through what I did today!

Here is what you need:
1 Quart warm water mixed with 1/4 cup baking soda
Rags and Towels
Garbage Can

Ok, it’s time to get started. It’s pretty easy…there are only 5 little steps!

1. Empty contents in fridge

2. Check dates as you are removing items…this is when you are going to need the trash can.

3. Remove and wash all shelves and drawers with hot water

4. Wipe down inside with warm baking soda water. Replace all drawers and shelves.

5. Put items back in fridge. Make sure to wipe all jars and containers down as you put them back.

What are your tips for cleaning your refrigerator?

Desi April 1, 2011 at 12:48 pm

We really need to clean out our fridge! I have usually just cleaned it out with hot water and soap, but the baking soda mixture sounds simple enough. We will definitely be using your tips soon :)

Katie April 1, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Desi,

Yeah, the baking soda is easy and it just deodorizes as you clean :)

Kimi April 2, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Really really need to do this AND I will be this coming week!! Thanks! Not sure why I didn't think of the baking soda but your right..easy and deodorized!! Thanks Katie!!

Katie April 3, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Kimi,

Let me know how it goes. Well, I heard about the baking soda somewhere…can't remember where…but i wasn't smart enough on my own to come up with it.

Misty April 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Now that I am actually home this week… This is on my TO DO list!!! :) Thanks for listing this out!

I use Lysol wipes too, but can't wait to try the baking soda!

Katie April 4, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Misty,

Aren't Lysol wipes a wonderful thing. I don't know what I would do without them :)

Dee August 3, 2011 at 11:58 pm

After cleaning my fridge, and seeing it sparkle, I like to make a big bowl of Jello! Not sure why but I always do this…looks really pretty though!

Katie August 4, 2011 at 11:02 am

Dee…that is too funny! I don’t like to put anything back in my clean fridge :)