Chicken Freezer Cooking Day

by Katie on August 12, 2011

This past week our local Meijer had boneless, skinless, Chicken breasts on sale for $1.79/lb!  That is a rock bottom price for this area. I will pay up to $1.99/lb if I am in desperate need, but when it hits $1.79/lb I know it is time to LOAD up :)

So, load up I did!  I purchased 15 pounds of chicken, and spent most of the weeks grocery budget on that!

I wanted to try some NEW freezer foods for this cooking day! I haven’t done that in a while, so I thought it would be nice to get some new things into the rotation.

I will definitely post the recipes as soon as I try them and guarantee that they are delicious!!

So…hold your horses, I will get them out as quickly as we can eat them. ;)

What’s done and in the freezer:

Chicken Lasagna Roll Ups
These lasagna rolls are so cute! Upon inventorying the fridge I saw that I had ricotta that needed to be used up. I also had pasta sauce and half of a box of lasagna noodles laying around. I have never put chicken with pasta sauce, nor have I ever made lasagna rolls but it sounded good…so we shall see :)

Chicken Pot Pie
I know this is usually considered a fall/winter meal, but I had this on a meal list to make for someone else so I decided to try it.  I saved one out for dinner, and it was delicious!  I found the recipe HERE!

Chicken Enchiladas with a Green Sour Cream Sauce
I combined everything I liked about different recipes and then used primarily what I had on hand for these. It resulted in what I called the best enchilada ever…in my humble opinion. I filled 4 pans, and had 2 stray enchilada stuff left, so I baked it for my lunch. Now hopefully they taste as good after they have been frozen.

Chicken Tetrazzini
This isn’t a new recipe…I posted it a long time ago. Back in my first month of blogging…before I knew that not posting a photo was like the absolute worst mistake a blogger could make! Oh, how far I’ve come :)  It is such an easy but delicious recipe, and I WILL post a pic soon!

Still to Come:

Parmesan Ranch Chicken Fingers
This is another recipe I have brewing in my head. I hope they turn out as good as I am imagining them!

Baker Chicken Penne with Spinach and Sun Dried Tomatoes
I am going to be adapting THIS recipe to suit our tastes! I’m excited to try it out because we love sun dried tomatoes.

Freeze the Remaining Chicken
That way I have some on hand for any other crazy chicken ideas I may get :)

So there you have it…my freezer cooking plan!

I’m getting ready to head to my friends house to do some more freezer cooking, but I won’t be packing my own freezer with these meals!

Then it’s back home to finish my chicken up :)

I would love to hear from you…

What have you been cooking up?

niki August 12, 2011 at 10:31 am

Great idea. I do this with ground beef and turkey, but I have not done chicken freezer cooking.

Katie August 12, 2011 at 5:27 pm

You have to do a chicken day, Niki. There are so many great chicken freezer meals…even just bagging raw chicken in marinades is great :)

Debbie August 12, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Good ideas with the chicken! I would like to try the lasagna roll ups if you decide to post the recipe.

I bought 4 5lbs bags of potatoes on sale for $1.37 per 5 lbs today. I plan to take them out of the plastic bags and store them in a basket. There are so many ways to use them. One way I plan is to have a potato Bar with broccoli and cheese, sour cream and butter, etc.
I need to research out ways to cook them that can be frozen.

Katie August 12, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Debbie, if the recipe is GOOD I will for sure be sharing it with all of you! I LOVE a baked potato bars…we do that for a ladies function every fall at church! The ladies love it.

Most cooked potato recipes are freezer friendly. Like mashed potatoes, twice baked potatoes (I have a freezer twice baked recipe on here if interested) and things of that nature :)

Misty August 12, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I LOVE Freezer Cooking! I know, I may be a little geeky, but a stocked freezer full of meals ready to go, makes me smile… I know many get excited about coupons, but when the front of the ad shows a “Rock bottom” price, I get super excited!!! :)

I can’t wait to try these recipes… The chicken pot pie sounds delicious! I can’t wait to try that… :)

I love freezer cooking with my friends and my daughter too… no better way to spend the day! Okay, so maybe dinner and tea at Panera where THEY do the dishes… haha. It’s a toss up…

Katie August 12, 2011 at 5:34 pm

It was fun freezer cooking with you and Rylee today…but yeah, Panera is nice too ;)

Oh, and it is so NOT geeky to admire your full freezer. I do it too, but then again I may be a geek as well?

Tiffanee August 12, 2011 at 11:55 pm

WOW Katie! That is so impressive. I love freezer cooking. I’m gonna be on the look out for a great chicken deal so I can use some (or more like all) your great recipes!!
Thanks!!

Katie August 13, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I hope you find a great chicken deal soon, Tiffanee!

Cherie August 14, 2011 at 7:14 am

speaking of a full freezer….not exactly freezer cooking…..but is it weird to go downstairs to your freezer…..open the door…..and just stare at a freezer FULL of cow????

I find myself doing that fairly often…..and I am sad at the little empty space I have made in the hamburger shelf!!!!!

I have to be careful…or I will become a cow “hoarder”….afraid to cook…in fear of the…..”empty space” :)

Katie August 15, 2011 at 5:35 pm

No, you are not weird at all Cherie :) I have to be careful not to hoard my cow either…