A Week of Lunches

by Katie on October 12, 2011

Do you struggle with lunches?

I sure do.  I usually plan on throwing something together, but what usually happens is that I just don’t eat. I get sidetracked and forget. Or I get lazy and busy and don’t feel like fooling with getting anything ready.

Last week I was out to lunch with a friend and the conversation of  lunches came up while we were enjoying great salads at Chick Fil A.  I love their salads, and I try to plan on salads most days for lunch, but it seems cumbersome to pull out all of the toppings just to make one little salad for my lunch each day.

That’s when I had an epiphany!

I could pull out ALL of the salad ingredients ONE time and make lunches for the WHOLE WEEK!!

Genius, right?

I washed the romaine and divided it into the salad bowls.  Then I filled them up with our favorite salad toppings!

For this new idea, I purchased some special plastic containers with dressing cups that pop into the lid!!  They came in packs of 4 for $2.49…a small price to pay for such a wonderful invention.

(So impressed by these new containers I took one out to show Daniel when he got home from work. His reply, “You’ve never seen those, they have been around for a long time now”.  I’m the primary grocery shopper and I had never seen these…where have I been?)

I am loving this idea, and I think it could be used for much more than salads!

They have some great divided containers that would be great for sandwiches and snacks. You could package up a week of soups.  The ideas are endless…

Do you make lunches in advance?

Miriam October 12, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Ooooo!!! I like, like, like! I love salads as well, but like you don’t want to dig out EVERYTHING just to make a salad. Another problem I had was forgetting what was in “the other” crisper drawer and then later finding shriveled fruit (you can’t see through them). I finally took OUT the drawer and now I SEE the grapes, etc. sitting right there – and we eat it so much more! I love the salad idea, maybe I’ll make a couple salads tomorrow :)

Katie October 13, 2011 at 11:19 am

Miriam, it sounds like that was a great idea to take everything out of the drawer :) I hope making the salads up in advance helps you as much as it has helped me so far!!

Kimi October 13, 2011 at 11:14 am

I have taken to cutting up my veggies that I like on top of my salad to have handy. Actually started doing this with other stuff as well to have to toss into whatever I am making. Like cut up carrots & celery (small dice). Last night I tossed a handful of those in with my sloppy joes. But never to this point. I like my lettuce crisp. Curious to see if it stays that way. Let me know!!

Katie October 13, 2011 at 11:21 am

Kimi, I like to cut up my veggies and have them handy, too! I love your idea for putting the carrots and celery into the sloppy joes…I will have to remember that :)

So far the lettuce has stayed crisp. I will keep you updated :)

Kimi October 14, 2011 at 9:05 am

Thanks!!

Lee Ann October 13, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I have never seen those containers!! Pretty cool.

Katie October 14, 2011 at 12:07 am

Lee Ann, I’m glad I’m not the only one who didn’t know about them ;)

Kimi October 14, 2011 at 9:04 am

I didn’t know about them either. Where did you get them?!

Katie October 14, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I picked them up at Meijer!! They are awesome :)

Kimi October 15, 2011 at 11:19 am

Was just flipping through my coupons and in the SS insert 10/2 there is a $1/1 coupon.

Cherie October 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I, too, have the wilted vegetables problem…I always have good intentions…but when everything goes in the crisper drawer….it’s the old “out of sight, out of mind” thing.

I have sliced up carrots, broccoli, celery and onions…put them in baggies to use on salads….but just end up with slimey veggies……

I LOVE those little bowls…and if you stack them right there in front of you…HOW could you ignore them????

Great idea Katie!!! Can’t wait to try it out!!!

Katie October 14, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Cherie, you’re right…out of sight, out of mind :) If you try it out, let me know how it goes!!

Misty October 19, 2011 at 3:07 pm

What a GENIUS idea!!! ;) Where did you find those containers?? I looked the other day and couldn’t find them. :)

Katie October 19, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I got them at Meijer! I have had several people ask because they couldn’t find them. I know the Meijer in West Chester has them!

Katie October 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Nice! I will have to dig mine out and use it. I’ve been slacking a little on the coupon I guess :)