5 Uses for Apple Peels

by Katie on November 10, 2011

Have you ever peeled a lot of apples for applesauce or apple pie and looked at the mound of apple peels wondering what to do with them?

It seems like such a waste throwing them away, but I’ve never gotten past simmering them for a nice scent.

Waste no more!

I’ve found a few uses for those apple peels that were destined for the garbage!  I can’t wait to try them all out!

1. Simmer for a wonderful apple scent wafting through the house

Place apple peels and a cinnamon stick or two in a saucepan with water. Simmer on the stove. Refill the water if it evaporates

2. Make Apple Jelly

I’ve never had apple jelly, but I sure am anxious to try it out! You make apple juice from the apple peels and then make a jelly from that. I found some good looking recipes here , here, and here.

3. Apple Tea

This is right up my alley! It makes me want to buy some apples just so I can make some apple tea. Finding Joy in My Kitchen has an awesome looking recipe (and I love her blog)!

4. Apple Spice Potpourri

Chickens in the Road shares how to make and freeze a wonderful simmering potpourri from dehydrated apple peels and cores.

5. Apple Peel Vinegar

Nourishing Days shares how to make homemade apple peel vinegar for approximately half the cost of purchasing it!

Which of these ideas would you like to try out with your apple peels?

Linda T November 10, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Your house must smell amazing trying out all these Apple Peel ideas! I can almost taste the apple jelly! We will have to set a date and sit down over a cup of apple tea and catch up! Love you and Miss you, dear one!
Enjoy your apple peel adventure!
Later,
Love ya,
Aunt Linda

Katie November 10, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Well, I am certainly going to have to buy more apples in order to try them all out! An apple tea meeting sounds like fun, Aunt Linda!! We’ll have to plan that :)

SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen November 10, 2011 at 4:09 pm

These are great suggestions {and thanks for including mine}! We LOVE making applesauce – we must make a batch each week in the fall. We add a splash of lemon juice & a pinch of nutmeg to ours along with cinnamon. Oh… you’re making me wish I had brought some for lunch today :)

Katie November 10, 2011 at 4:52 pm

SnoWhite, I can’t wait to make you tea :) Also, I love your idea of adding a little nutmeg to the applesauce! YUM!

Tiffanee November 11, 2011 at 12:32 am

Wow! Who knew. Thanks for a great list. I can’t wait to try these all out!

Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy November 11, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I went on the same search last week when I had a TON of apple peels. I ended up making the vinegar, at least I got it started. Still waiting for it to turn into vinegar:)

Katie November 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm

That’s funny, Anne! I hope the vinegar turns out well :)

Misty November 14, 2011 at 11:16 am

I never even knew you could simmer the peels and smell nice throughout the house. :) I must try that and the tea, of course.

Anna @ Feminine Adventures November 15, 2011 at 11:31 pm

LOVE these ideas! I just made apple pie and couldn’t bear to throw out so many peels and cores. I just threw them in the crock pot and let them cook all day, then strained them to make applesauce.

Katie November 16, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Anna, that sounds like a pretty good idea for using them up :)

Julie Bagamary November 16, 2011 at 6:59 am

They also are tasty when dried as “chips”

Katie November 16, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Julie, I LOVE apple chips, but I’ve never made them! I will have to experiment with that. Thanks for sharing :)

Kimberlee November 16, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Love these ideas! I just made an apple crisp, and gave the peels to the horses. I didn’t even think of using any to smell up the house, LOL!
~Kimberlee

Katie November 16, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Well, giving the peels to the horses is a great idea, too :)

The Old-Fashioned Housewife November 20, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Hi Katie,

Just discovered your blog and it looks fabulous, think Ill be following along with you now to learn more good tips about cooking on a budget. :)

I love all of these ideas and have put many of them in place. Another idea, if you happen to have a dehydrator, is to dry the apple peel and then eat them! They actually take on a crispy, candied taste and texture when dried, so they make a nice sweet and healthy snack. I discovered this when I was drying them thinking id use them for potpori, but lo and behold they actually tasted good!

Thanks again!

Katie November 20, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Thanks so much for your sweet and helpful comment!! I love apple chips. I think I will have to try making them at home now! Thanks for the tip :)