How to Make Glittery Christmas Ornaments

by Katie on December 7, 2011

Get your shoes on and get ready to run to your local craft store!

This first handmade gift was put first for a reason…you have to make yourself some Glittery Christmas Ornaments!

I have fallen in love with these glittery ornaments! They are so beautiful, fun, and easy to make. Oh, and I can’t forget the best part…they don’t leave glitter ALL OVER your house because the glitter is inside.

Everyone on my list will be getting on of these beauties. I hated to share them on here, because it would ruin the Christmas surprise (sorry family), but I just couldn’t wait until next year to share with you!

DIY Glitter Ornament Supplies

Supplies:
Glass Ornaments – (I purchase mine at Hobby Lobby, they have been 1/2 off for the past 6 weeks or so)
Extra Fine Glitter – About 1 jar (1.5 oz) per 12
Pledge Floor Care with Future Shine – I found it at Wal-Mart for about $6. I made about 84 ornaments total with friends and there is still over 3/4 of it left. It lasts forever.
Small Funnel
Ketchup Squirter (sorry the official name escapes me)

Handmade Glitter Ornament

I purchased my glitter at Michael’s Craft Store when it was 40% off. There are so many beautiful colors, so good luck decided on which ones to use. I decided to go with colors that matched my wrapping paper…I like things matchy matchy.

Glitter ornament tutorial

I poured some future shine in my ketchup squirter so it would squirt into the ornaments easily.

Remove the metal cap and squirt some future shine in there. Roll it around to make sure it is all coated.

I left the lid off of the future shine and just dumped the extra right back in there.

DIY Glitter Ornament

Now comes the fun part!! Using the funnel, pour some glitter into the ornament. It takes a few tries to get a good judge of how much glitter it needs to cover.

Glitter Ornaments Tutorial

Roll the ornament around to coat the sides. Or just put your finger over the top and shake, shake, and shake some more!

If there is glitter left inside just dump it out and reuse on the next one.

Tie a pretty ribbon on them and add a nice ornament hook and you are good to go. That’s it!

Linked to: Frugal Friday

Carrie December 7, 2011 at 10:53 am

Katie – Those are so pretty! I’m definitely going to do these with my kids!

Katie December 7, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Carrie, I’m sure your kids will have a blast making them. I did some with my friends 9 yr old, and she had a blast and took over and made them all herself :)

Misty December 8, 2011 at 7:55 am

My daughter had the best time making them with Katie! I know your kids will really enjoy it! The best part was with the funnels, there was very little mess.

Misty December 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm

When you told me about these and showed them to me, I just HAD to run right out and get all the suppiles to make them for teacher gifts and small gifts this year. They were SO easy and absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! I can’t help but stare at the boxes. :) Weird, I know. I almost don’t want to give them away, but instead fill my whole tree with them. I may have to do more… :) After all, I did all red and now that I see your colors, I LOVE them too!!!

Katie December 7, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Ha ha…when I first made mine I stared at the boxes, too! I just couldn’t believe they could be so pretty :)

Jamie December 7, 2011 at 5:10 pm

These are so cute!! I’m so glad I found you at Works For Me Wednesday! What a great idea! Must try!

Katie December 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Jamie, thanks for stopping by! I hope you have fun making them :)

Cherie December 8, 2011 at 10:43 am

YAAAYYY…what color am I getting???? Can I have Sandy’s too???? She doesn’t need one!!! LOL

I can’t believe Hobby Lobby has the clear bulbs all ready for you to decorate……I used to take old ones I didn’t want anymore….pour bleach in them and that would eat off the paint inside….give them a nice bubble bath and BLOW dry the inside before I could even START decorating!!!!

I LOVE the glitter idea ……SOOOO easy!!!

I want to do some just for the FUN of it…….

See ya next weekend!!

Hugs!!!

Katie December 8, 2011 at 11:03 am

What color do you want, Cherie? I’m bringing one for everyone, so you might as well just tell me what color you like best….lime green, dark green, red, blue, or pearl?????

You are SO silly…taking the paint out of old ornaments! You can just head to Hobby Lobby and pick some up from now on :)

april December 9, 2011 at 9:43 am

so pretty!

Katie December 9, 2011 at 10:16 am

Thanks, April!

ReNee McDonald December 9, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Totally excited to try this! I was checking out your yummy pineapple green chili pork on Life as Mom and have spent quite some time perusing…love your site!!!

Katie December 9, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Hi ReNee, I’m so glad you have been enjoying the blog! The pork is definitely delicious and the ornaments are SO much fun to make!!

Wanda Eichler December 16, 2011 at 4:46 am

Oh Katie! I love the ornament!! You are so creative. I especially LOVE the ruby red one, it reflects the tree lights and serves as a reminder of good times in 2011.

Katie December 16, 2011 at 12:08 pm

The ruby one was one of my favorites, too!! Each year you pull out your 2011 glitter ornament you can remember the good times :)

Misty December 26, 2011 at 10:09 am

I received SO many compliments on these ornaments this Christmas season! The people LOVED them and this will be one gift Ry and I make each year. Thank you again for posting these. :)

Katie December 26, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Misty, that’s awesome to hear!! I’m glad everyone loved the ornaments :)

christy December 13, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Hi Katie!
I wanted to let you know that I made these ornaments last year with my nieces, and they were beautiful! I am making them this year with all of my first graders as gifts to give their parents! I think everyone is going to love them!
Love to you and yours,
Christy

Katie December 13, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Hi Christy! I’m glad you liked the ornaments. Making them with your students is such a great idea…I’m sure their parents will love them!

Jackie December 13, 2012 at 11:43 pm

You have totally inspired me to make yet another craft. I love glitter! It makes me happy! I’m so excited and can hardly wait to start working on these babies. Thanks for sharing Katie!

Katie December 14, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Have fun, Jackie! They are really fun to make :)

Nicole Surber December 13, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I did these and absolutely love them!! Another great idea is melting a candle with a candle warmer and pouring the candle wax inside to make it smell amazing!! (Don’t use it on white glitter unless you have a lot of wax and are really quick and even or else it’s patchy and not the prettiest) my mom did this when I was little. But with Elmer’s glue, not pledge lol :)

Katie December 16, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Hi Nicole! I’m glad your ornaments turned out well! I would have never thought of the candle wax…that sounds neat! Have a great Christmas :)