How to Make Tile Coasters

by Katie on December 13, 2011

I’m a stickler when it comes to coasters. A glass or mug straight on a table is like nails on a chalkboard. So, these coasters are the perfect craft for me. :)

If you are a coaster stickler, too…you have to make your own tile coasters! They are cheap, fun, creative, and they protect your tables all at the same time!

{DIY} Tile Coaster

Here is what you need:
Tiles ($.16 at Lowe’s or Home Depot)
Scrapbook Paper
Mod Podge
Acrylic Sealer
Felt Rounds for bottom

I started out with tiles that I bought at Lowes. The ones pictured were $.33 each, and the ones pictured above were $.16. The $.16 tiles were flat and the paper sealed better than the stone ones.

The first thing you want to do is to measure how you want your paper cut and cut squares. I wanted just a little bit of the tile to show…so I cut accordingly.

Tile Coasters with Mod Podge

Next you apply a coat of Mod Podge to the tile. Lay the paper on it and make sure it is sticking to the tile and there are no air bubbles. After you get them all Mod Podged you need to go take a break and let them dry.

Note: If you have one, use a regular foam brush, not a round foam thing…it was just all I had.

DIY Tile Coasters

Once they are dry you apply another coat of Mod Podge on the tile. Let dry completely.

Add another layer of Mod Podge and let dry completely.

Once they are good and dry you need to spray them with acrylic sealer. This will make them waterproof.  I purchased mine at Michaels, it is in the spray paint section.

Do this OUTSIDE…it is pretty potent stuff!! I just took mine to the garage and sprayed them on newspaper. Then let them sit out there for several hours before bringing them in.  They were still kind of stinky, so I let them sit for a few days before using them.

Then bring them in and admire them ;)

The whole point of a coaster is to protect your tables. SO…the last step is adding some felt pads to the bottom of the tile so they don’t scratch your table!

Note: I purchased my felt tabs at Lowe’s for about $3…and there was enough to do 5 sets of coasters. If you wanted a cheaper option you could cut a piece of felt the size of the coaster and hot glue it to the bottom.

DIY Tile Coasters

There you have it…cute handmade tile coasters on the cheap!

Cherie December 13, 2011 at 8:44 am

AWESOME!!!!!! I am DEFINITELY doing these!!!

And….SO cheap….you could do all kinds for different times of the year!!!

I have hunted and hunted for my Christmas coasters and can’t find them anywhere……how timely is this????

Except….I might have to wait until after Christmas to do them…..so…it’s paper towels until then…..sigh…….

Cherie December 13, 2011 at 8:45 am

Oh….WAIT….I just remembered….I think there might be some tiles down in the garage……Chuck is SUCH a pack rat!! If there ARE tiles there…I have everything else needed!!!!!!

Katie December 13, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I hope you get to make some, Cherie! If not you can get an early start on them in Jan. for next Christmas :)

Misty December 13, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I can’t wait to try to make these! :) They are SO cute! You are so crafty girl. I have enjoyed (and used almost) all of your gift ideas.

Katie December 13, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Thanks, Misty!! I hope you get a chance to make them :)

lise December 13, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Wow! Those are beautiful! I am bookmarking your webpage! Thanks!

Katie December 13, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Thanks, Lise :)

mom December 14, 2011 at 7:06 am

Love this idea !!!! I think I will make some ahead for gifts.

Katie December 14, 2011 at 10:23 am

Mom, I think I’m going to make some ahead for hostess gifts through the year…and just keep them on hand! It’s easier than baking a loaf of quick bread like I normally would.

Wanda Eichler December 16, 2011 at 4:53 am

Katie, I think I might even be able to do that. I love pretty homemade items and appreciate the time and love the maker puts into it. This looks like I might be able to do this. I’m little concern making even edges with the paper. I can make uneven edges with a paper cutter:) This is a definite try. Thank you.

Katie December 16, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Wanda, I agree…nothing better than homemade gifts! I know you could make them…they are super easy :)

Misty May 31, 2012 at 8:36 am

Ethan, Rylee and I made about 60 coasters for school teacher gifts and Awana teacher gifts. The kids had a ball making them and they turned out perfect! What a great gift!!! Thank you for sharing this…

Megan June 19, 2012 at 10:01 pm

How long does it take for it all to dry to the point were you could use them?

Katie June 19, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Megan, they take a few hours to dry and then I let them sit for a few days before actually using them.

judy November 10, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I’m using exterior mod podge on my tile coasters and it is remaining tacky. Is it okay to spray with a sealer while still tacky and if the glass sweats on the coaster will the finish hold up? I’m assuming you cannot put a hot mug on these coasters?

Jan August 26, 2013 at 5:38 pm

HI Katie!
This sounds like a great project for resale as well as personal gifts. I was wondering if you’ve ever tried using fabric instead of paper, as I have a great variety of fabric from quilting. I hope you will be able to answer my question as I see it has been a few years since you posted this.
Thanks!
Jan

Katie August 27, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Hi Jan! I personally haven’t tried anything but paper on the coasters, but I have seen others have used fabric. It’s a great idea, I too have scraps laying around…this would be a great use for them :)

Jan August 28, 2013 at 12:19 am

Thanks, Katie, for you reply. I’m going to try it with fabric mod podge on Thursday. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Katie August 30, 2013 at 11:46 am

Good luck :) Hope they turn out well for you!

Jan August 30, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Hello again!
I tried applying fabric to tile for use as a coaster. I applied regular mod podge directly to fabric and let it dry completely. Then I applied mod podge to tile and set on and smoothed fabric. It dried well. But as I applied the next coat of mod podge, it started to bubble and dried that way. I’m thinking I will purchase fabric mod podge to see if that works better. Will also use a brayer to smooth it out, as seen in one of the online videos. Will try this in a few days, as I will be busy for the Labor Day holiday. Have a great weekend!!!

Ellen October 10, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Katie,

Krylon makes a Glitter Blast Clear Sealer.. Would I need to use the Acrylic Sealer on top of that or would the Glitter Blast be okay?

Katie October 10, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Hi Ellen! I haven’t used the glitter spray, so I can’t say for sure, but I looked it up and I think it would work just fine since it’s a clear sealer as well (just with glitter). I would try using just that if it was me. :)