How to Make Homemade Chicken Stock

by Katie on January 25, 2012

Cooking a whole chicken is really economical, but when you take the next step andmake homemade stock you are really stretching the dollar. Not only is it frugal, but it is also very healthy and tastes great!

After we eat our chicken dinner I put the bones back in the crock pot (along with the broth that was at the bottom of the crock pot after cooking chicken). I also like to add celery, carrots, and onion to the mix if I have them on hand.

Then I add enough water to cover the bones, usually about 5-6 cups. Cook on low overnight and when you wake up you will have wonderful chicken stock!

I pour the chicken stock into a glass bowl and let it sit in the refrigerator for the day. Then I skim the fat off the top and portion it in freezer bags for future use.

Have you tried making your own stock before?

Linked to: Frugal Friday

Jessica January 25, 2012 at 9:55 am

I haven’t ever attempted stock but I think I might try that this week.

Katie January 25, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Jessica, it’s so easy, frugal, and good for you…I hope you like it!!

Donna B. January 26, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Yep, I sure have made stock. While I stockpile commercial stock, I’m planning to start canning next year. Might as well can my own stock–chicken, beef, fish, vegetable. I’ve also made turkey stock, but don’t care for it except to go with a turkey dinner. It does work OK with vegetables, but the flavor just doesn’t ring my bell. :-)

Katie January 26, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Donna, I’ve never tried vegetable stock. I’ve heard it works, but I don’t think the flavor would do much for me either. Good luck in canning your own stock :)

Kelly January 27, 2012 at 10:23 am

I save the ends of onions, celery, carrots, garlic, etc..that would normally be thrown away just for this purpose. They are in a bag in the freezer labeled, “for chicken stock”

Katie January 27, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Thanks for sharing, Kelly! I have heard that before, but for some reason I have never tried it. I’m going to be doing some freezer cooking tomorrow so I think I will start my own chicken stock bag from my scraps. Have a great day :)

Misty February 3, 2012 at 9:02 pm

What a great tip! Now… if only I could get a whole chicken in my clearance bin at Kroger… Boy, then I’d be all set!! :)

Katie February 6, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Misty, I find that mid week my Kroger has the best clearance section. I’ve been going every Wednesday or so just to look for clearance chicken and organic products. Mine will reduce those organic smoothies and stonyfield yogurt all the time.

Misty February 8, 2012 at 4:21 pm

So, I made my chicken broth last night, well, my slow cooker did (while I slept) and I just bagged it up. It seemed delicious and it looks SO much richer than the watered down canned stuff. I am have tempted to run up to Kroger and check the clearance racks now… :)

Katie February 8, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I’m so glad you gave it a try, Misty! It is so much better (and better for you) than the canned stuff :)