Freezing Yogurt in Ice Cube Trays

by Katie on February 29, 2012

Who else is a smoothie fan?  I love making smoothies, and do so quite often.  I just throw some fruit, yogurt ice cubes, and almond milk into my trusty blended and in seconds I have a delicious treat!

The large containers of yogurt are so much cheaper than the individual serving cups, but I can never seem to eat it all before it goes bad. Especially now that I’ve significantly cut down on my dairy intake.

So, here is my solution:

I’ve started buying the big containers of yogurt and freezing it in ice cube trays!

I just spoon the yogurt in, freeze, and pop them out and store them in a freezer bag.

A bonus is that you can look for marked down yogurt at your grocery store. I bought the Stonyfield yogurt pictured for about 60% off because it was close to its sell by date-which is no big deal if you are freezing it.

What money saving tips do you have?

Linked to: Frugal Friday

Lee March 2, 2012 at 7:01 am

Why have I never done this? What a great idea!

Katie March 2, 2012 at 11:47 am

Thanks, Lee!

Jan March 2, 2012 at 7:10 am

Yup, I do the same thing! 3 cubes of yogurt, 1 cup of milk, tbs peanut butter, 1/2 frozen banana and fill the blender with spinach and woohoo …. good for you green smoothie (I’m amazed that a lot of people don’t know you can do that with yogurt!!) Hopped over from Frugal Fridays (per Jessica’s plea!) :)

Katie March 2, 2012 at 11:48 am

Jan, I have been loving green smoothies…I will have to try your recipe!

Sue Rogers March 2, 2012 at 9:07 am

Great tip. I make my own yogurt and freeze it into Popsicles but I hadn’t thought about ice cube trays. Visiting from Frugal Fridays at Life As Mom.

Katie March 2, 2012 at 11:50 am

Sue, freezing it into popsicles is a great idea :)

Tiffanee March 2, 2012 at 11:37 pm

What a brilliant idea! Love it! Thanks!

mom March 4, 2012 at 8:47 am

This is the best idea ever! This sounds like a must try.

Katie March 4, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Thanks, Mom! Let me know if you try it :)

Misty March 4, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I am going to have to try this. I bought a bunch of spinach yesterday to try green smoothies. :)

Katie March 5, 2012 at 12:05 pm

It’s great because it keeps the smoothies really cold :)

amy July 25, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Love this idea! The Safeway I shop at always has the large containers on clearance but I would never buy them. I knew I wouldn’t be able to use all of it before it expired. Well those days are over! I bought 2 large containers the other night for $1 a container. Thanks so much for the tip.

Katie July 30, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Wow, Amy, $1 is a great deal!! Enjoy all the smoothies you will be making now :)

Betty December 31, 2013 at 10:28 am

I can NOT get my yogurt out of the trays. What am I doing wrong? Should I run warm water under the bottom of the tray? Should I have lined it with plastic wrap? Should I have sprayed the button with cooking spray (gross)? PLEASE HELP! I was so excited and last night was a fail. I can’t even scrap them out. Lol

Katie January 1, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Hi Betty! That’s strange that you are having problems getting the yogurt out. I put my yogurt straight in my trays (no cooking spray or plastic wrap) and when they are frozen solid I give bang it on the counter lightly and just twist the edges of the ice cube tray from side to side and they come right out. I’m really sorry it’s giving you fits. If I were you I would try a new ice cube tray (not sure if that would help, but I don’t think the yogurt would be the problem).

Betty January 2, 2014 at 11:48 am

Thank you so much for such a quick response. I tried to get them out again last night. I tried twisting and hitting them but it wouldn’t work. This morning I held the ice tray on it’s side under hot water so it would loosen the yogurt without getting water in it. It worked! Just a couple of seconds and it losen up and came out when I twisted it out the last time. Put them in a plastic bag & back in the freezer & now I’m on to my next batch! :-) Thanks!

Katie January 2, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I’m glad that worked for you, Betty! Enjoy smoothie making :)