How to Mop Wood Floors

by Katie on April 19, 2012

The whole first floor of our home is hardwood – so I guess you could say I have some experience with mopping wood floors. :)

Weekly I mop the floors with a steam mop. It works pretty good, but to me there is just nothing like a good old fashioned on your hands and knees mopping! When we first bought the house I tried different mops and different cleaners, but then I found vinegar!

It cleans the floors so well, leaves them streak and residue free, is all natural, and it costs just pennies!

I put 1/2 cup vinegar in a big bowl of warmish hot water. Dunk your rag in it, wring it out well, and go to town!

(You want to make sure it is wrung out well, otherwise you will need to go behind yourself with a towel and dry the floor.)

It smells a little vinegar-y while you are cleaning, but that smells dissipates as the floors dry!

Do you clean with vinegar?

Becka @ Just a Bunch of Momsense April 19, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Not only do I clean my floors with vinegar… but I JUST did! I actually mix the vinegar & water in a spray bottle with a 1:1 ratio, then add a few drops of orange essential oil. (This is my basic all purpose cleaner.) I use the same kind of microfiber rag, and just spray and wipe. The orange oil cuts the vinegar smell, and gives off a nice, fresh and clean scent.

Try adding a few drops of your favorite oil and see how you like it. ;)

Katie April 20, 2012 at 1:08 am

Becka, I am going to have to add some essential oil to my vinegar water…what an awesome idea!! I also am going to try it as my all purpose cleaner. I’m finishing up my last stockpiled bottle of windex all purpose and then I was going to make all natural cleaner…I will give it a try :) Thanks for sharing your great tips!!

Cherie April 20, 2012 at 6:49 am

Gee…I use vinegar for windows and shower doors sometimes…but never thought about using it on my wood floors….DEFINITELY gonna give it a try!!!!

Katie April 20, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Hi Cherie! I use vinegar for a lot of cleaning….love it! You have got me thinking…maybe I will do a post on all the ways you can use vinegar?!?

Becka @ Just a Bunch of Momsense April 20, 2012 at 8:53 am

Katie, You’re welcome! By the way, I just realized I didn’t mention in my first comment that I do not have wood floors. (Oopsies!) I have linoleum in my kitchen/bathrooms, and Pergo (laminate) throughout the rest of the house. So, I don’t have any experience cleaning wood floors, but it the vinegar/water mix works great on the floors I have!

Up until a few months ago, I’d used a microfiber mop with a refillable sprayer to clean my floors, and although I do like it, I would always have a little line of dust/dirt left on the floor from pulling back on the mop. This drove me crazy! One day while I was spot-cleaning the floor with a rag, I ended up doing the entire floor and realized I could totally eliminate that little dirt line, doing it by hand. I haven’t used my mop since! Glad to hear that I’m not the only one who does this! ;)

Katie April 20, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Becka, it’s great to know that the vinegar water cleans all types of floors well! Yep, you’re not the only one who has been driven crazy by mops. I dislike them so much, but they do make mopping easy :)

Michelle April 20, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I am going to try this on my floors! I have made homemade glass cleaner with vinegar and it works great! Never thought about my floors…..I have a Swiffer and it really doesn’t do that great of a job. Its just easy. :) Can’t wait to try this-thanks!

Katie April 21, 2012 at 10:28 am

Michelle, I hope you like it…it will do much better than your swiffer :)

Misty April 21, 2012 at 11:23 am

I am definitely going to give this a try on my kitchen and bathroom floors. Sounds so simple, easy and cheap! I have vinegar lying around from dying easter eggs… Thanks. I did have one question… Where do you buy these essential oils?

Katie April 23, 2012 at 11:57 am

Hmmm…I’m not really sure as I’ve never purchased them. I will let you know when I find out :)

Jenny April 25, 2012 at 9:28 am

You can find essential oils much more easily these days. Some grocery stores carry them. Check the “natural foods” section. Or there are hundreds of places online. If it is important to you that they are pure essential oils, check carefully. Some oils are much less expensive than others. Sweet orange oil is one of the cheapest options and smells wonderful. Lemon is nice, so is eucalyptus. Lavender is great for housecleaning too. A few drops is all you need. Tea tree is good for a little extra disinfecting power, but it’s also very strong.

Good luck, it’s so much fun to start using oils. Ok…maybe the cleaning part isn’t loads of fun, but the wonderful smells do make it much more pleasant.

Katie April 25, 2012 at 11:23 am

Thanks so much for the info, Jenny! I had no idea about the world of essential oils…I read a little about them yesterday and was amazed at what all they are used for! I want to try the sweet orange oil, but the lavender would also be awesome for cleaning! Actually I want to try them all!! Thanks again :)