Sour Cream Rice Bake
I have a great appreciation for simple food. Just good old comfort food – nothing too complicated or fussy. This Sour Cream Rice Bake fits the bill, and it’s a cinch to put together. It’s a simple combination of flavors, but somehow that’s what makes it so good.
The flavors of this dish blend together so deliciously. You’ve got the spice of the Italian sausage mixed with the tomato flavor layered with a creamy rice mixture and all finished off with a good helping of gooey melted Cheddar cheese. It really is quite the dinner – I have made this several times and it has become a real favorite!
I haven’t frozen it yet, because we demolish it every time, but it would make a great freezer meal!
- 1 pound Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage
- 15 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups long grain, white rice
- 3 cups water (or beef broth)
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the water and rice in a medium sauce pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover the pan. Cook 15-18 minutes until the water is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Once cooked, let sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, cook the sausage in a skillet until cooked through. Remove from heat and drain off grease. Add the tomato sauce to the pan with the sausage.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the rice. Add in the cottage cheese, sour cream, and green onions and stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a 2 quart baking dish layer half of the rice mixture. Top with half of the meat and tomato mixture. Sprinkle half of the cheese. Repeat the layers. Bake at 350 for 10 or 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
To Freeze: Prepare up to the point of baking and wrap well and freeze. To Serve: Thaw and bake according to directions.
Recipe Adapted From: Buns In My Oven
If you are interested in freezer recipes – there are many more Freezer Pleasers here.
Sharing at: Tasty Tuesdays & Works For Me Wednesday