Mexican Rice Casserole
I’m so excited to share one of our new favorite dinners – Mexican Rice Casserole.
I haven’t had the recipe for that long, but that hasn’t stopped me from making it several times. This past time I even made a few extra to freeze!
It’s a somewhat spicy rice dish (mild if you wish) that’s loaded with great Mexican flavors. Then it’s topped with tomato slices and cheese. I thought the tomato slices sounded strange, so I almost didn’t add them, but they were delicious. A must if you like tomatoes!
It’s delicious, easy to make, and a one dish meal! And seriously, who doesn’t love a one dish meal? Pair it with a salad or veggie and you are set.
Just promise me you will trust me on this and not the poor photo quality. Taking my photos after dark is just not a great idea?! And it looks like a big pile of mush. But it’s a good tasty mush – for real!
- 1 1/2 cups of white rice, prepared according to instructions
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce (I use 8oz can tomato sauce and 8oz can spicy tomato sauce found in Mexican section of grocery store)
- 3-4 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 3-4 tomatoes, sliced thickly
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare rice according to instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef, making sure to break it up as it cooks. After a few minutes of cooking add the diced onion and all of the seasonings. Stir until well combined and cook until the beef is cooked through. Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly for an additional 60 seconds.
- Add the cooked rice, drained and rinsed black beans, tomato sauce and a bit of cilantro (reserving some for garnishing) to the beef and onion mixture. Mix the ingredients thoroughly, taste and re-season if needed.
- Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray and pour the rice mixture into the dish, spreading it evenly. Place the tomato slices on top of the rice mixture then top with cheddar cheese.
If I'm preparing this for the freezer I leave out the tomato slices.
Recipe From: For the Love of Cooking